National Service commemoration plaque unveiled in Victoria Gardens

Truro Mayor Carol Swain took part in a special plaque laying ceremony in the city’s Victoria Gardens on Saturday, 20 April to commemorate the young men of Cornwall who completed National Service between the years of 1945 and 1963.

The brass plaque was given to Truro by Michael Homer, chairman of the National Service Veterans Alliance, from Hampshire who set himself the challenge of raising money to fund and deliver brass plaques to 50 county towns to honour the 2.2 million men who did National Service.

“I was delighted when Mike Homer first approached me to offer Truro this plaque “ said Cllr Swain,  “I was even more pleased to take part in this special ceremony to help to commemorate the over 2 million men of my father’s generation who were conscripted into National Service, the 395 who were killed on active service, and the many others, including Mr Homer, who incurred life changing problems or injuries.

“We will remember them!”

Following the formal dedication of the plaque, a number of wreaths were laid on the granite stone.

As well as Mike Homer and the Mayor and Mayoress of Truro and her Cadet, the ceremony was attended by the President, Chairman, standard-bearers and members of the Royal British Legion Truro Branch; Truro’s Town Crier Lionel Knight and his wife Carole, Cornwall Council Leader Linda Taylor; Mayors and representatives from other towns in Cornwall, including Camborne, Falmouth & Liskeard, a large number of veterans and families of veterans; and members of the public.  Prayers were said by Canon Alan Bashforth, Truro RBL’s Chaplain, with music provided by Kernow Pipes and Drums and a bugler who played the Last Post and Reveille.

The event was organised with support from Royal British Legion Truro Branch and Truro City Council’s Parks and Gardens department.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

Click to share this article

More to explore

Press Release

St Pirans Day

Truro City Council is busy finalising plans for this year’s St Piran’s Day celebrations. We have worked with partners at Salt Projects, Tyller A Nerth,

Read More »
Boscawen Park

Boscawen Tennis Pavilion

Work to begin on the exciting new tennis pavilion at Boscawen Park Work will begin this week on the new tennis pavilion at Boscawen Park.

Read More »